Welcome to my webpage
I am a Professor at the Digital Security (DiS) group). I joined the institute for Computing and Information Sciences (iCIS) at the Radboud University in August 2009. Before that I was a PhD student and PostDoc at the COSIC group, KU Leuven Belgium. Before that I worked as a cryptographer for Pijnenburg Securealink (later SafeNet B.V.) in The Netherlands.
I have received a VIDI grant in 2014 to work on new side-channel analysis methods and countermeasures for secure embedded devices.
My research interests are mostly in the area of applied cryptography and hardware security. In particular, I am interested in security of small embedded devices such as RFID tags, IoT devices etc. Some of the topics I worked on in the past include implementations of cryptography, both high performance and low-cost i.e. in constrained environments. I work on implementation attacks i.e. side-channel and faults and I have a preference for curve-based cryptography such as (H)ECC. Recently, I've been looking into machine learning for security and privacy and how we can use it for side-channel analysis. On the defending side, I'm interested in low-cost countermeasures against all kinds of physical attacks.
PhD students and PostDocs
I am lucky to work with a number of talented PhD students and PostDocs:
- Vincent Grosso, postdoc
- Ilya Kizhvatov, postdoc
- Lukasz Chmilewski, external PhD student
- Pedro Maat Massolino, PhD student
- Louiza Papachristodoulou, PhD student
- Kosta Papagiannopoulis, PhD student
- Joost Renes, PhD students
- Niels Samwel, PhD students
Upcoming events and PCs
- TRUDEVICE workshop, Dresden, Germany, March 23, 2018, colocated with DATE.
- PQCrypto 2018, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, April 9-11, 2018.
- Summer school on real-world crypto and privacy 2018, June 11-15, 2018, Solaris, Croatia.
- CHES 2018, September 9-12, 2018, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Office: Room 03.15, Mercator 1 building @ RU campus
Phone: +31 (024) 365 2076
Faculty of Science
Visiting Address (How to get there)
Digital Security Group