Welcome to my webpage
I am a Professor in the Digital Security (DiS) group. I joined the institute for Computing and Information Sciences (iCIS) at the Radboud University in August 2009. Before that I was PostDoc at KU Leuven Belgium where I also got my PhD in 2005. Before that I worked as a cryptographer for Pijnenburg Securealink (later SafeNet B.V.) in The Netherlands. I got my Professional Doctorate in Engineering from TU Eindhoven in 2001.
I have received a VIDI grant from the Dutch government in 2014 to work on new side-channel analysis methods and countermeasures for secure embedded devices.
Since 2018, I am a senior member of IEEE and an Editorial board member of IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security. I am also an AE for ACM TECS.
I am general co-chair or Real World Crypto Symposium for 2021 (virtual) and 2022 (hopefully physical in Amsterdam) with Joan Daemen and Peter Schwabe.With Stjepan Picek I am hoping (for the 2nd time) to have EUROCRYPT 2021 in Zagreb as a physical event.
My research interests are in applied cryptography and embedded systems security. I am looking into security of embedded (crypto) devices such as smartcards, RFID tags and IoT devices. Some of the topics I worked on include implementations of cryptography, both high performance and low-cost i.e. in constrained environments. I work on implementation attacks i.e. side-channel and faults and I have a preference for curve-based cryptography (both classical and post-quantum i.e. ECC and isogeny-based).
Recently, I've been looking into machine/deep learning for security and privacy and how we can use it for side-channel analysis. Another direction we consider is to perform side-channel analysis on neural nets implementations. I'm also interested in low-cost countermeasures against all kinds of physical attacks, faults and side-channel.
- 2021: DATE -- track chair, NDSS, ACNS, CTRSA, CCS, WOOT, ESORICS, ASIACRYPT, ACSAC
- 2020: NDSS, DATE -- track co-chair, USENIX Security, CRYPTO, ASIACRYPT, WOOT, ACSAC, ICCAD.
- 2019: DATE -- track co-chair, Asiacrypt, CHES, DAC, PQCRYPTO
- EUROCRYPT 2021, Oct. 17-21, 2021, (fingers crossed :)) Zagreb, Croatia.
I am happy to work with some highly motivated PostDocs and PhD students:
- Lukasz Chmielewski, PostDoc
- Niels Samwel, PhD student (co-supervision with Joan Daemen)
- Leo Weissbart, PhD student (co-supervision with Stjepan Picek)
- Praveen Kulkarni, external PhD student (co-supervision with Stjepan Picek)
- Servio Paguada, external PhD student
- Unai Rioja, external PhD student
- Santos Merino del Pozo, external PhD student
- Omid Bazangani, PhD student (co-supervision with Ileana Buhan)
- Konstantina Miteloudi, PhD student (co-supervision with Nele Mentens)
- Hulya Evkan, external PhD student (co-supervision with Benjamin Smith)
- Azade Rezaeezade, PhD student (co-supervision with Stjepan Picek)
Past PhD students and PostDocs
- Antonio de la Piedra, PostDoc 2015-2016, now with CEA, Grenoble, France
- Ilya Kizhvatov, PostDoc 2016-2017
- Vincent Grosso, PostDoc 2016-2017, now with CNRS/Laboratory Hubert Curien, FR
- Veelasha Moonsamy, PostDoc 2015-2017, now at Ruhr University Bochum
- Joost Renes, PostDoc in 2019, now with NXP
- Roel Verdult, PhD in 2015
- Stjepan Picek, PhD in 2015, now assistant professor at TU Delft
- Baris Ege, PhD in 2016, now with Riscure
- Anna Krasnova, PhD in 2017, now with Philips
- Louiza Papachristodoulou, PhD in 2019, now at Fontys, Eindhoven
- Lukasz Chmielewski, PhD in 2019, now PostDoc at Radboud University
- Joost Renes, PhD in 2019, PostDoc until Jan. 2020, now with NXP
- Kostas Papagiannopoulis, PhD in 2020
- Pedro Maat Massolino, now with PQShield
Office: Room 03.10, Mercator 1 building @ RU campus
Phone: +31 (024) 365 2076
Faculty of Science
Visiting Address (How to get there)
Digital Security Group