Welcome to my webpage
I am a Professor in the Digital Security (DiS) group. I joined the institute for Computing and Information Sciences (iCIS) at the Radboud University in August 2009. Before that I was a PhD student and PostDoc at the COSIC group, KU Leuven Belgium. Before that I worked as a cryptographer for Pijnenburg Securealink (later SafeNet B.V.) in The Netherlands.
I have received a VIDI grant in 2014 to work on new side-channel analysis methods and countermeasures for secure embedded devices.
Since 2018, I am a senior member of IEEE and an Editorial board member of IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security.
My research interests are mostly in the area of applied cryptography and embedded systems security. In particular, I am interested in security of embedded devices such as smart cards, RFID tags and IoT devices. Some of the topics I worked on in the past include implementations of cryptography, both high performance and low-cost i.e. in constrained environments. I work on implementation attacks i.e. side-channel and faults and I have a preference for curve-based cryptography.
Recently, I've been looking into machine/deep learning for security and privacy and how we can use it for side-channel analysis. On the defending side, I'm interested in low-cost countermeasures against all kinds of physical attacks.
I am happy to work with some highly motivated PostDocs and PhD students:
- Joost Renes, PostDoc
- Kostas Papagiannopoulis, PhD student
- Pedro Maat Massolino, PhD student
- Niels Samwel, PhD student (co-supervision with Joan Daemen)
- Leo Weissbart, PhD student (co-supervision with Stjepan Picek)
- Anna Guinet, PhD student (co-supervision with Joan Daemen)
- Praveen Kulkarni, external PhD student (co-supervision with Stjepan Picek)
- Servio Paguada, external PhD student
- Unai Rioja, external PhD student
Past PhD students and PostDocs
- Roel Verdult, PhD in 2015
- Stjepan Picek, PhD in 2015, now assistant professor at TU Delft
- Baris Ege, PhD in 2016, now with Riscure
- Anna Krasnova, PhD in 2017, now with Ernst & Young
- Louiza Papachristodoulou, PhD in 2019, now with NavInfo
- Antonio de la Piedra, PostDoc 2015-2016
- Ilya Kizhvatov, PostDoc 2016-2017
- Vincent Grosso, PostDoc 2016-2017, now with CNRS/Laboratory Hubert Curien, FR
- Veelasha Moonsamy, PostDoc 2015-2017, now assistant professor at Radboud University
- Joost Renes, PhD in 2019, now PostDoc at Radboud University
- Lukasz Chmielewski, PhD in 2019, now part-time PostDoc at Radboud University (also with Riscure)
- Workshop on Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) 2019, Dec. 2-4, 2019, Bochum (invited speaker).
- Lorentz center workshop, AI+Sec: Artificial Intelligence and Security, Dec. 2-6, 2019, Leiden, Netherlands (scientific co-organizer).
- ASIACRYPT 2019, Dec. 8-12, 2019, Kobe, Japan (PC member).
- NDSS Symposium 2020, February 23-26, 2020, San Diego, CA (PC member).
- DATE 2020, March 9-12, Grenoble, France (Design and Test of Secure Systems DT6 Track co-chair).
- EUROCRYPT 2020, May 10-14, 2020, Zagreb, Croatia (general co-chair).
- Summer school on real-world crypto and privacy 2020, June 15-19, 2020, Sibenik, Croatia (scientific committee member and co-organizer).
- EURO S&P 2020, June 16-18, Genova, Italy (PC member).
- ACNS 2020, June 22-25, Rome, Italy (PC member).
- International Workshop on the Arithmetic of Finite Fields, WAIFI 2020, July 6-8, 2020, Rennes, France (PC member).
- USENIX Security 2020, August 12-14, Boston, US (PC member).
- CRYPTO 2020, August 16-20, Santa Barbara, US (PC member).
Upcoming events and PCs
Office: Room 03.15, Mercator 1 building @ RU campus
Phone: +31 (024) 365 2076
Faculty of Science
Visiting Address (How to get there)
Digital Security Group