Welcome to my webpage
I am a Professor in the Digital Security (DiS) group. I joined the institute for Computing and Information Sciences (iCIS) at the Radboud University in August 2009. Before that I was a PhD student and PostDoc at the COSIC group, KU Leuven Belgium. Before that I worked as a cryptographer for Pijnenburg Securealink (later SafeNet B.V.) in The Netherlands.
I have received a VIDI grant in 2014 to work on new side-channel analysis methods and countermeasures for secure embedded devices.
Since 2018, I am a senior member of IEEE and an Editorial board member of IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security.
My research interests are mostly in the area of applied cryptography and hardware security. In particular, I am interested in security of small embedded devices such as RFID tags, IoT devices etc. Some of the topics I worked on in the past include implementations of cryptography, both high performance and low-cost i.e. in constrained environments. I work on implementation attacks i.e. side-channel and faults and I have a preference for curve-based cryptography such as (H)ECC. Recently, I've been looking into machine/deep learning for security and privacy and how we can use it for side-channel analysis. On the defending side, I'm interested in low-cost countermeasures against all kinds of physical attacks.
I am happy to work with some highly motivated PhD students:
- Lukasz Chmilewski, external PhD student
- Pedro Maat Massolino, PhD student
- Louiza Papachristodoulou, PhD student
- Kosta Papagiannopoulis, PhD student
- Joost Renes, PhD student
- Niels Samwel, PhD student
- Leo Weissbart, PhD student (co-supervision with Stjepan Picek)
Past PhD students and PostDocs
- Roel Verdult, PhD in 2015
- Stjepan Picek, PhD in 2015, now at TU Delft
- Baris Ege, PhD in 2016, now with Riscure
- Anna Krasnova, PhD in 2017
- Ilya Kizhvatov, PostDoc 2016-2017
- Vincent Grosso, PostDoc 2016-2017, now with CNRS/Laboratory Hubert Curien, FR
- Veelasha Moonsamy, PostDoc 2015-2017, now at Utrecht University
Upcoming events and PCs
- Kangacrypt 2019, Adelaide, Australia, Dec. 7-8, 2019 (co-chair with D. J. Bernstein and Y. Yarom).
- Australian Summer School on Embedded Cryptography - ASEC 2019, Adelaide, Australia, Dec. 10-11, 2019 (co-organizer with Y. Yarom).
- DATE 2019, Florence, Italy, March 25-29, 2019 (DT6 track co-chair).
- PQCrypto 2019, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, May 8-10, 2019 (PC member).
- DAC 2019, Las Vegas, USA, June 3-7, 2019 (PC member of the SEC1.Hardware security track).
- Summer school on real-world crypto and privacy 2019, June 17-21, 2019, Solaris, Croatia (scientific committee member and co-organizer).
- CHES 2019, August 25-28, 2019, Atlanta, USA (editorial board member).
Office: Room 03.15, Mercator 1 building @ RU campus
Phone: +31 (024) 365 2076
Faculty of Science
Visiting Address (How to get there)
Digital Security Group