is assistant professor at the Open Universiteit and visiting researcher at the Radboud University's Digital Security
Previously I was a post-doctorate lecturer and researcher at RU's Comuter Science department within the Digital Security group, after finishing my PhD project also there. During my PhD I was also a member of the TNO Security department. My
background is mathematics and education (Master of Science at ELTE, Budapest, Hungary), coding theory and
cryptography (Professional Doctorate in Engineering at TU/e in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, in the program
Industry). My Ph.D. was about about Attribute-based
Keywords. cryptography, privacy, attribute-based identity management, mathematics education, security, attribute-based credentials, hardware security, computer network
*Officially Gergely, but please call me Greg
How to reach me?
Mostly I work in Nijemegn at the Radboud University, ICIS Digital Security. Otherwise, you can reach me by any of the e-mail addresses below.
- address: Mercator I, Tournooiveld 212, 6525 EC Nijmegen
- room: 2.16
- tel.: +31 (0) 24 3652645
- e-mail (Open Universiteit): gaa ou.nl
- e-mail (Radboud): g.alpar cs.ru.nl
- W. Lueks, G. Alpár, J.-H. Hoepman, and P. Vullers. Fast Revocation of Attribute-Based Credentials for Both Users and Verifiers. In Journal of Computers & Security 2016.
link, local copy)
- G. Alpár, J.-H. Hoepman, and J. Siljee. The Identity Crisis -- Security, Privacy and Usability Issues in Identity Management. In Journal of Information System Security 2013.
Conference Proceedings Publications
- G. Alpár, L. Batina, L. Batten, V. Moonsamy, A. Krasnova, A. Guellier, and I. Natgunanathan. New Directions in IoT Privacy Using Attribute-Based Authentication–Position Paper. Proceedings of the 1st ACM Malicious Software and Hardware in Internet of Things Workshop (MAL-IoT16), Italy, 2016. (to appear, local copy)
- Brinda Hampiholi, Gergely Alpár, Fabian van den Broek and Bart Jacobs. Towards practical Attribute-Based Signatures.
Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Security, Privacy, and Applied Cryptography Engineering (SPACE 2015), Jaipur, India, October 3-7, 2015. (link and local copy)
- Wouter Lueks, Gergely Alpár, Jaap-Henk Hoepman, and Pim Vullers. Fast
Revocation of Attribute-Based Credentials for Both Users and Verifiers.
In Proceedings of the IFIP International Information Security and Privacy
Conference (IFIP SEC 2015), Hamburg, May 26-28, 2015.
The extended version of the paper is available in the IACR ePrint Archive, link)
- Merel Koning, Paulan Korenhof, Gergely Alpár and Jaap-Henk Hoepman. The
ABC of ABC: an analysis of attribute-based credentials in the light of data
protection, privacy and identity. In Proceedings of the 10th
International Conference on Internet, Law & Politics (IDP 2014): A decade of
transformations, pages 357-374, Barcelona, July 3-4, 2014. (link to pdf, 196kB)
The paper was also presented at the 7th Workshop on Hot Topics in Privacy Enhancing
Technologies (HotPETS 2014, link)
- Gergely Alpár and Jaap-Henk Hoepman. A Secure Channel for Attribute-based
Credentials [Short paper]. In Proceedings of the 2013 ACM Workshop on
Digital Identity Management (DIM 2013), pages 13-18, Berlin, November 8, 2013. (link to pdf,
- Gergely Alpár and Maarten H. Everts. Mobile Devices to the Identity
Rescue. In Proceedings of the IFIP Summer School, Nijmegen, The Netherlands,
June, 2013. (link to pdf,
- Kostas Papagiannopoulos, Gergely Alpár, and Wouter Lueks. Desigated Attribute Proofs
with the Camenish–Lysyanskaya Signature. In 34th WIC Symposium on Information Theory,
2013. (link to paper,
309kB, link to poster,
- Manu Drijvers, Pedro Luz, Gergely Alpár and Wouter Lueks. Ad Hoc Voting on Mobile
Devices. In 34th WIC Symposium on Information Theory,
2013. (link to paper,
660kB, link to poster,
- Gergely Alpár and Bart Jacobs. Credential Design in Attribute-Based Identity
Management. In Ronald Leenes and Eleni Kosta, editors, Bridging distances in
technology and regulation, pages 189-204, 3rd TILTing Perspectives Conference,
Tilburg, NL, April 25-26, 2013. (link to pdf,
- Gergely Alpár, Jaap-Henk Hoepman, Wouter Lueks. An Attack Against Fixed Value
Discrete Logarithm Representations. Cryptology ePrint Archive: Report 2013/120.
- Pim Vullers and Gergely Alpár. Efficient Selective Disclosure on Smart Cards
Using Idemix. In Simone Fischer-Hübner, Elisabeth de Leeuw, and Chris Mitchell
editors, Policies and Research in Identity Management (IDMAN),
3rd IFIP WG 11.6 Working Conference, London, UK, IFIP AICT 396, pages 53–67. Springer, 2013. (link to pdf,
- Gergely Alpár, Lejla Batina, Wouter Lueks. Designated Attribute-Based Proofs for
In Jaap-Henk Hoepman and Ingrid Verbauwhede, editors, RFID Security and Privacy
(RFIDsec), LNCS 7739, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, pages 59–75. Springer, 2012.
2012. (link to pdf,
- Gergely Alpár, Lejla Batina, Roel Verdult. Using NFC Phones for Proving Credentials,
PILATES 2012, LNCS 7201, Kaiserslautern, Germany,
2012. (link to pdf,
- Gergely Alpár, Jaap-Henk Hoepman. Avoiding Man-in-the-Middle Attacks When Verifying Public
Terminals. In Proceedings of IFIP Summer School, Trento, Italy, (IFIP AICT 375 proceedings),
2011. (link to pdf,
- Gergely Alpár, Jaap-Henk Hoepman, Johanneke Siljee. The Identity Crisis. Security, Privacy
and Usability Issues in Identity Management (link)
- Computer Networking (6ec) - lecturer (link)
- Software Life Cycle - lecturer (link)
- Software Engineering (4.3ec) - lecturer, coordinator (link)
- Security and IT (4.3ec) - lecturer (link)
- Computer Networking (6ec) - lecturer (link)
- Introduction to Cryptography (6ec) - lecturer (link)
- Computer Networks and Distributed Systems (6ec) - lecturer (link)
- Cryptography (6ec) - TA and partial lecturer (link)
- Hardware Security (6ec) - lecturer (link)
- Security (6ec) - TA (link)
- Calculus en Kansrekening (3ec) - TA (link)
- Introduction to Cryptographic Algorithms and Protocols - TA (link)
Students and supervision
- Fabian van den Broek: Mobile Communication Security (PhD committee)
- Gerben Geltink (Master thesis): Concealing Ketje: A Lightweight PUF-based Authentication Protocol
- Abdullah Rasool (Bachelor thesis): AAWSOME -- Anonymous Authentication for WiFi and Some Real World Scenarios
- Tom Nies (Bachelor thesis): Privacy Protection Against Cross-Device Tracking Methods
- Brinda Hampiholi (Ph.D.
co-supervision with Bart Jacobs): Own Your Own
Identity - Attribute Based Credentials implementation on SIM cards
- Tim van de Kamp (Master thesis): Combining ABCs with ABE - Privacy-Friendly
Key Generation for Smart Card Based Attribute-Based Encryption
- Maarten Derks (Research B): Ajax and privacy
- Kostas Papagiannopoulos (Research B): Designated attribute proofs with
the CL signature
- Karin Huijben (Research A): Shibboleth technology for inter-cloud
- Pedro Luz and Manu Drijvers (Research A): Ad hoc e-voting
- Start: 2010 March
- Finished: 2014 May
- Thesis: Attribute-Based Identity Management (more details about the thesis and
the defence here)
- Title: Identity Management for Mobile Devices within the Sentinels (link) research program.
- Supervisor: Jaap-Henk Hoepman (link)
- Promoter: Bart Jacobs (link)
- Symposium: The Bermuda Triangle of Identity Technologies. January 15.
- ABC Technology Workshop at the IFIP Summer School 2013. Organiser.
- Research and development at the IRMA (I Reveal My Attributes) pilot project:
Attribute-based credentials in practice. (link)
- CYRCLE Crypto Club. Organiser. (link)
- Member researcher at the PI.lab - Privacy & Identity Lab
interdisciplinary research. (link)
- RFIDSec 2012, Nijmegen, The Netherlands. Webmaster and a member of the Organizing
- The Alphabet of ABCs (April 4, 2017, OUrsi talk at the Open Universiteit)
- Privacy and the P&I Course (January 29, 2016, lunch colloquium at our Digital Security group)
- Privacy with Attributes, invited talk (January 19, 2016, Software Improvement Group)
- IRMA: Attribute-Based Identity Management Using Smart Cards (June 4, 2015, Šibenik, Croatia: Summer school on real-world crypto and privacy, invited talk,
- ABCs in Theory and Practice (June 23, 2015, New York, NY, USA: RFIDsec 2015, invited talk, link)
Older tutorials, presentations
- Anonymous Credentials @ Collis, 2011
- Zero-Knowledge Proofs in Anonymous Credential Systems @ Radboud University,
Digital Security Group, 2011 (link)
- Gergely Alpár. The Future Identity Card.
P&I lab -- 4 years later, December 2015. (book chapter, a draft version is available online)
- Try the IRMA Android app to get a feeling what attribute-based credentials are. You can read much more about the background on the IRMA page.
- Install the IRMA app on your phone (use the link or the QR code)
- In the app choose 'Demo Enroll' from the menu, which will provide attributes that you can start playing with.
- Go to the IRMA Tube web site. This is a demo page where you can watch films (actually, only their trailers) in a privacy-friendly way.
- Register by clicking on the button at the top-right corner and following the steps. Here you already use your phone app!
- Finally, you can watch movies anonymously (and unlinkably!). You only reveal the fact that you are a member of this service and that you satisfy the age limit of the movie.
- Financial Cryptography and Data Security 2017 (link)
- Pervasive and Mobile Computing - Elsevier Journal (link)
- OID_2014 (link)
- IFIP SEC 2014 (link)
- CARDIS 2012 (link)
- PASSAT 2012 (link)
- International Journal of Information Security, Special Edition for ACNS 2011 (link)
- IFIP SEC 2012 (link)
- MOBISEC 2012 (link)
- WISTP 2012 (link)
- Chatting with people
- Playing the piano
- Flying Cessna-150 (link to the club
I got my PPL from - HUN; and a passionate picture)
- Learn more about the exciting, cutting-edge IRMA technology. It's now available on smart cards and on Android phones! (link)
- Cyber Security Bachelor at our group (first in the Netherlands!) (link)
Last modified: April 4, 2017